Monday 23 January 2012

Dubai : Show Me Your Normal

Well, the difficult second post.  Although I'm in Delhi now, I guess I have to tell you a few things about Dubai, or as it's more well know to the hipster ex-pats....Dubz.  I know, all I can think of is that prick Dappy from the sensational UK urban group N-Dubz as well.

The view from Elliot's apartment
Dubai is pretty weird place if I'm honest.  It has the biggest, longest, most expensive and highest everything but truthfully, no soul.  Don't get me wrong, I had a great time there but that was more down to Elliot who we stayed with.  He really looked after us.  We ticked off all the major boxes; visited the Burj Khalifa, watched the fountains, attended a brunch and spent a day on the beach.....Oh, I also learned that physically, it's not possible to hang a slip on shoe off your cock and balls.  Especially after jumping into a freezing cold pool.  That's a whole other story though.


Enjoying a "cheap" brunch with Elliot
Of all of those activities the most impressive was the brunch. In a nut shell, punters pay a set fee on the door (ours was about 30 quid) to eat and drink as much as they can for four hours.  It's great fun, just a standard piss up with a bit of food and some good chat.  What makes a brunch so special is the fact that it somehow works.  Imagine opening a bar on the Bigg Market and charging 30 quid on the door for a load of meat heads to drink as much as they could?  And to make it more competitive, lets give them a time limit.  If this happened you'd get......well......you'd get "The Boat".  And we all know how that ended.

Burj Al Arab - Being peasants means no entry
I was more than keen to get past all of the expensive buildings and cars and see what the heart of Dubai was all about.  See some real "culture" if you will.  The daft thing about that is that fast cars, tall buildings and a money driven population is Dubai's culture.  I think anyone there would probably agree with that.  It's all about being flash, and, it seems to work well for most people out there.  The lifestyle is great, living in huge apartments on the beach and making a load of cash sounds like the dream right? It's been one of mine for a while.  I'm just not sure I could hack it out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment